November 6, 2009

Coconut-y :D


So I went out to do a little grocery shopping for some lovely treats I was going to create. I was feeling a bit thirsty and was going to get a smoothie but they were too expensive and the line was a little long so I decided to head to starbucks. Since I work there I know how to specialize drinks and make them extra yummy :) If you're in the mood for something light but creamy (COLD DRINK) try this:

Iced venti black tea
Two splenda instead of classic syrup
An inch of soy

Pretty simple but amazing. I also get it with light ice because a good amount of ice is put into the drink and I would rather have more milk and black tea.

Anyways, back to the special treat. I've always loved coconut macaroons so I had to find a recipe where I could make them vegan style. I was thinking putting apple sauce in them because you do that with a lot of recipes instead of butter but I wasn't sure that was going to cut it.

This is the recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup almond milk (soymilk or rice milk; your preference)
• 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
• 3 TBS honey
• 2 TBS flour
• 1 TBS vanilla
• ¼ TSP salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil almond milk on medium high and add honey and salt. *TIP: If you spray a little cooking oil in your measuring spoon before you add the honey, it is a lot easier to pour out all of the honey*


*Originally when I whisked the flour into the boiling milk it clumped up, if you sift the flour before hand it will be less likely to clump. Or after combining the dry and wet ingredients together you could strain out the clumps.* After adding the honey and salt, whisk in the flour. Boil for 2, then lower the temperature to medium heat and allow the mixture to thicken (approx. 5 minutes). Add the vanilla and coconut. (It seems as if there will be too much coconut for the mixture but keep stirring and it will work).


Drop 1 inch scoops onto a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.

*Options: Drizzle honey or chocolate on top
Estimated Time: 30 minutes

Makes approx. 20 cookies






No comments: