December 20, 2009

Trying out new things

So yesterday was saturday, which means, FARMERS MARKET day! Well technically, there is a farmers market here everyday of the week but saturdays are the biggest. I had work in the morning. 5AM yuckk! I am a morning person but yesterday I DID NOT want to get up. But anyways, my boss let me off early, around 9:15. I went home, showered up and took forever no time to find something to wear. FM here I come! I stopped at the bank to grab a freshhh twenty and then set off with my chico bag and FEED (whole foods) bag in hand. I spent $11 and got: 4 tomatoes, 7 avocadoes, 2 heads of kale, 2 heads of lettuce, 2 cherimoyas, and some flowers. Once I get my camera (bought the camera for xmas and getting the lenses from santa :D ) I'm going to start bringing it. The environment and the people there are awesome; that's why I go back all the time.

I've been reading all over tons of blogs about kale chips. People say how amazing they taste, and especially how good they are for you. I wasn't too specticle about them because I've been seeing these on every blog! Kath Eats Real Food mentions them, and even the renegade health show has a video on how to make them.


A lot of people are making these potato kale chips topped with a cheesy dressing, but I didn't have any of the ingredients to make that at my apartment so I opted for another solution. I used olive oil, salt, and rosemary.

Since this entire thing was an experiment, I decided to do some chips raw and some cooked. I put in about a quarter of the bunch in the oven at 350 and then the rest in the dehydrator.

I left the ones in the oven in too long and they somewhat burnt. I still tried them and you can tell that they have potential, but I think I'm going to stick with the dehydrator. More reasons than one to go that route.





I snuck a bite before they were done just to see how they were coming along. They tasted awesome. I never would have thought that kale would taste so good.

Kale is loaded with vitamin K, A, and C. Plus, they are a good source of Calcium!



I dug into one of the cherimoya's. It wasn't completely ripe but I wanted to try it out and I was hungry also. To tell you the truth, it tastes ok. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad. Maybe if I would have let it ripen up some more the flavors would have been stronger.





I was having so much fun with the dehydrator I wanted to make something else. I cut up two tomatoes I had in the fridge earlier and put them in the dehydrator. Home made sun dried tomatoes! They look and taste just like the store bought ones.
So that was my experimenting for the night. I'm excited about the kale chips. They are cheap, easy and taste good. Now it's time to get ready for work, make some $$$ to buy tons of christmas presents! Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments: